I didn’t know what to write about this week, as I am currently busy organizing the first part of the move of my hackerspace. So, I feel like I am cheating a bit with this one, but on the other hand… this is one of my projects! And I CAN show it off a bit, right?
I typed about it before, but I am one of the International Geek Girl Pen Pal Club, short IGGPPC or Iggles. IGGPPC’s mission involves to continue the art of letter writing and besides that we chat on Discord and Twitter and there are several groups for things like, crafting, food, television&movies, games and… BOOKS! Basically, we do a lot of fun stuff together, online and by mail, about whatever it is we geek out about at the moment. I fell in love thanks to IGGPPCamp, which is like a summercamp but from your own home. Yes, it doesn’t sound like the adult thing to do, but COME ON! Aren’t you tired of being an adult all the time? Don’t you want to build a blanket fort and hide out in it, doing crafts, watching flicks, cooking camp food and go on scavenger hunts?? I do!
Last IGGPPCamp me and two other Iggles found an abandoned library in the woods. And we decided to dust it all out and restart the Bookworms group again. This group unites the Iggles that love to read- or maybe just want to read more! We have monthly picks and even though I sometimes forget to think of themes, or don’t read the picked books at all… I did came up with an IGGPPC Geeky Reading Challenge last year. And of course, it had to be continued!
The themes of the 2021 IGGPPC geeky reading challenge are, to read:
1. a favorite reread
2. a book about science or technology
3. a book that inspires you to try something new
4. a recommendation (from a penpal maybe? don’t forget to write them back about it)
5. a book from a female author
6. a book written at least 20 years ago
7. a genre you never read (expand your comfort zone)
8. a book about space or time travel
9. a book with quirky characters (whatever this means to you)
10. a non-fiction book
11. a book by an LGBTQ+ or BAME author (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic)
12. a book about books, letters or stamps
13. a book of fairy tales or fantasy
14. a memoir or (auto)biography
15. a book about friendship
16. a book from or about or taking place in the Middle East/South America/Africa
If you would like to join, you can find the IGGPPC Geeky Reading Challenge on both theStorygraph as Goodreads. And if you are interested in following us, you can find us at Discord and at Twitter. 😉