Up until recently, I never baked cookies in my life! Which is weird, because I did like cookies. I often used to eat a whole pack of them when I had an upset stomach or felt generally bad. This was of course when I didn’t know yet that these cookies would make it even worse…
In the gluten free diet, most store bought cookies are… well… not as delicious as you want them to be or as you remembered gluten full cookies to be. Besides that also really expensive. If you have to pay 14-20 euros a KG for a basic cookie that isn’t delicious, it’s a bit of a waste.
Now that we got a bit more time at home, I tried out baking a few things I have never tried before. I already had all the ingredients at the home anyway. The first try of chocolate chip cookies were good! Maybe still a bit too sugary and a bit too much of vanilla to my taste, but they were tasty and crunchy and chocolaty. All the things you want from a cookie! 😀
Today I tweaked the recipe a bit to share with you.
So how to make these chocolate chip cookies?
This recipe is supposed to be for 20 cookies, but since I am not good at sizing them yet, I ended up with 14 of them. I don’t care though. Big cookies are still delicious!
First you’ll need:
• 200 grams of gluten free flour (I used Peak’s free from universal flour)
• 75 grams of light brown sugar
• 75 grams of white sugar
• 6 grams of vanilla sugar (or substitute with white sugar)
• 1 teaspoon of baking powder
• 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda
• 1/8th of a teaspoon of seasalt (and an extra splash of iodine salt)
• 1 egg
• 75 grams of butter (room temperature)
• 75 grams of 72% pure chocolate (cut into little pieces)
(note: if you aren’t a celiac yourself and are making this for someone who is, make sure to check if the baking powder, baking soda and chocolate are indeed gluten-free)
And then you’ll:
0. preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius
1. set aside the chocolate an mix all the other ingredients together (by hand)
2. mix in the chocolate
3. make little balls of the dough and flatten them on the baking sheet and make sure to leave some room inbetween because they WILL grow bigger (I always forget though)
4. bake in the oven for about 20 minutes (depends on the sizes you went for)
5. put the cookies (they are still soft) on a cooling rack to cool down and harden
You can keep them for a week in an airtight container if they last that long.
Enjoy your chocolate chip cookies!